Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 14:21:05 EST

Hi !

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 07:52:36PM +0100, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> So it is like 30 times slower on 2.6. when running for the first time...
> this also happens if I do e.g. find ./ and watch the output pass by...
>
> This is without preemption on powerpc...
>
> Anyone else with that problem - ideas of the cause ?

Yes, already reported a while ago. I was having this problem with ls in
large directories where it sometimes took more than 10 seconds to scroll.
It is clearly a scheduler problem, but most people don't seem concerned
by this one since the most important to their ears is that xmms should not
skip during make -j $UINT_MAX :-/ It's a bit of a shame since other than
that, it seems stable enough for daily use on a desktop, but this problem
is too much annoying for me to definitely switch to 2.6. I wanted to give
a try to Nick's scheduler, but didn't have time yet.

Regards,
Willy