Re: [NEW FEATURE]Partitions on loop device for 2.6

From: BlaisorBlade
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 13:08:49 EST

Alle 22:04, venerdì 2 gennaio 2004, Bill Davidsen ha scritto:
> BlaisorBlade wrote:
> > NEED:
> > I have the need to loop mount files containing not plain filesystems, but
> > whole disk images.
> >
> > This is especially needed when using User-mode-linux, since to run any
> > distro installer you must partition the virtual disks(and on the host,
> > the backing file of the disk contains a partition table).
> >
> > Currently this could be done by specifying a positive offset, but letting
> > the kernel partition code handle this is better, isn't it? Would you ever
> > accept this feature into stock kernel?
>
> UML is on my list of things to learn (as opposed to "try casually and
> ignore")
It is something a bit like VMWare. But instead of emulating hardware and
running an OS inside that, you run a patched Linux kernel that runs as an
userspace process on the host and provides a virtual machine, which must
access a virtual disk, which is stored on a file.
See http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/ for more info.
> but have you considered using NBD?
I didn't really know what it was, nor it seems useful for this "as is" (I've
not really checked). Maybe that sentence means that the server program could
do the partition parsing?
--
cat <<EOSIGN
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade