Re: The survival of ide-scsi in 2.6.x

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 09:12:36 EST

Stef van der Made wrote:

Hi Willem,

The standard stuff like mt -f /dev/ht0 status etc etc works. But tar doesn't wan't to-do backups anymore both with and witout the patch on a 2.6.0 kernel. I don't have a 2.4.x kernel handy to test if it still works with those kernels and my drive.

What I've done is the following:

bash-2.05# tar -cvb 64 -f /dev/ht0 /
tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive

lost+found/
usr/
usr/X11
usr/adm
usr/bin/
usr/bin/w
usr/bin/ar
tar: Cannot write to /dev/ht0: Invalid argument

It looks as if the backup starts but it almost immediatly ends after the drive does some spinning and reading and or writing.

It sounds stupid, but you did set the tape block size as appropriate, didn't you? I've seen similar with incorrect block size writes in the past, but I don't have the correct hardware home to try it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc