Re: Syscall table AKA hijacking syscalls

From: Libor Vanek
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 10:40:04 EST

I'm writing some project which needs to hijack some syscalls in VFS layer. AFAIK in 2.6 is this "not-wanted" solution (even that there are some very nasty ways of doing it - see http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/2002-12/msg00266.html )

Why do you need to hijack system calls from a module? 99% of the
times, it's the wrong technical solution.

I'm working on my diploma thesis which is adding snapshot capability into Linux VFS (so you can do directory based snapshots - not complete device, like in LVM). It'll consist of two separete modules:
Snapshot module:
- will hijack (one or another way) calls to open/move/unlink/mkdir/etc. syscall
- when will detect change to selected directory (which I want to snapshot), it'll copy/move old file/directory to some temporary (selected when creating snapshot) - in fact - copy on write behaviour

UnionFS module:
- will place "temporary" directory with saved files/dirs "over" actual one and result will be read-only snapshot - this can be done without hijacking syscalls probably
- something like overlay fs but a bit different

--

Libor Vanek