Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Tyler Hall
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 23:02:55 EST

Since we're moving toward treating device numbers as unique handles for devices in a system, why can't we just dynamically allocate them like process ID's? As each device driver loads and registers with the kernel, it can request a device number and the kernel can assign the next available one.

Tyler