Re: i18n for kernel 2.7.x?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 21:40:31 EST

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:53:58 +0100, Xan said:

> Well... if (all of) you think that....
> But, what happens with Documentation/ directory and README, COPYRIGHT, ... and
> WEB PAGE of the kernel?
>
> It's NOT so technically hard to do. Why not so?

Oh, give me a <bleep>ing break, already.

We demonstrably have *enough* trouble keeping the English-only contents of the
Documentation/ directory in sync with the source. What do you propose to do if/
when some kernel change requires a document update, and we can't find somebody
who is qualified to translate to Swahili, or one of the Baltic languages(*),
and so on? Pretty soon, you have 15 or 20 slowly diverging versions due to
missed updates and the like.

As far as translating the COPYING file, I think you need to see what the FSF
thinks of translating the GPL into other languages:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/licenses.html

(Bottom line - English is canonical, and the others are basically considered
study aids for the English-challenged).

(*) Don't look at me - although I went bughunting in the cpufreq code, and have
more relatives in Riga than I do in the US, and my Latvian is quite sufficient
to deal with a newspaper, dinner conversation, or television programming, I'd
hate to be the guy trying to understand my attempt to explain the cpufreq code
in Latvian.. ;)