Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 21:02:22 EST

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 00:17, walt wrote:

> Note that the portage system already includes 'hotplug' and 'udev'
> but possibly lagging behind a bit: hotplug-20030805-r3 and udev-011.

Afiak, we are current on udev :D As for hotplug, I will have to check -
I see the latest usb patches cause usb.agent to complain about "09" not
valid token or such, but I have not looked into it yet.

> I have installed them both but just have not been able to get udev
> working yet -- I don't yet understand the problems well enough to tell
> you why, unfortutately. (udev is still marked 'experimental' so I'm
> probably omitting important steps somewhere.)

Well, ideally you need baselayout-1.8.6.12-r3 as well ... But if you
do have issues, try to bother me first, as it could be something I did
or did not do ;)

> If you could get udev working in gentoo you would become an instant
> hero rather than the target of nasty emails. Think of how great
> that would be for your New Year! We would become the wind beneath
> your wings instead of the rotten tomatoes in your mailbox ;0)

Hmm, It works fine here? With sysfs patches from Greg (not yet into
official linux bk), I only had to run alsa's script to create device
nodes, and create /dev/{core,stdin,stdout,stderr} - the rest udev
creates - although, yes we do have the ramdisk/tarball feature to
save permissions/additions.

But once again, drop me a mail first with versions of udev, baselayout,
kernel, hotplug, etc, if you have latest unstable baselaout and still
cannot get it working - it is a Gentoo issue after all (as well as the
fact that I was under the impression that it should _just_work_ if you
have latest everything unstable =) ...

Thanks,

--

Martin Schlemmer