Re: File change notification

From: Javier Fernandez-Ivern
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 13:21:55 EST

Rüdiger Klaehn wrote:

I have been wondering for some time why there is no decent file change notification mechanism in linux. Is there some deep philosophical reason for this, or is it just that nobody has found the time to implement it? If it is the latter, I am willing to implement it as long there is a chance to get this accepted into the mainstream kernel.

Well, there's fam. But AFAIK that's all done in user space, and your approach would be significantly more efficient (as a matter of fact, fam could be modified to use your change device as a first level of notification.)

I'll be interested in testing this, or (if you wish) help get it done. I'm a kernel hacking newbie at the moment, but I have tinkered around enough with the VFS to be able to work on this. Up to you.

--
Javier Fernandez-Ivern