2.6.0: atyfb broken

From: Claas Langbehn
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 16:29:11 EST

Hello,

I have got an HP omnibook 4150B. When booting with atyfb,
the kernel messages look great:

atyfb: 3D RAGE Mobility (PCI) [0x4c4d rev 0x64] 8M SDRAM, 29.498928 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 50 Mhz MCLK
fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI

But either the screen is black and I see only the cursor and Background
colors (CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE disabled), but X11 starts fine.

With CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE enabled it does not work at all:
I get a completely broken picture that is not syncing and blinking and so on.
Its completely useless. X11 will not work either :(

I enabled in the kernel config:
CONFIG_FB_ATY, CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT and CONFIG_FB_ATY_XL_INIT

lspci -v:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller:
ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 000a
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 10
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
Memory at fedfe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [50] AGP version 1.0
Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 1

According to dmesg and to the omnibook's manual the card shall have 8 MB
memory and not 16 MB as lspci is saying.

Regards, claas