Re: Blank Screen in 2.6.0

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 02:04:03 EST

Thomas Molina wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Norman Diamond wrote:

I've had problems at various times during 2.5 with a number of card-specific framebuffer drivers so I've backed off to only using the VESA framebuffer driver. Maybe the connection is which framebuffer driver is used.

I've had the same problem. I've tried using radeonfb and it's never worked yet since 2.5.69. In 2.6.0, no matter what mode I select, I get a horizontal frequency of 140kHz and a ~90Hz vertical sync. My monitor blanks and pops up the on-screen menu with the horizontal frequency high-lighted in red. My monitor supports up to 110kHz horizontal according to my X log.

I compiled just the vesafb in as well, but it does the exact same thing. It doesn't matter what values or modes I put in the vga/video parameter. Only the text mode works now, and after only 2 days uptime I've noticed I no longer have the full vertical screen. When I type, random text or colored/flashing blocks appear in the bottom (roughly) 1/5th of the screen. Actually, anytime I run an ncurse app in my console, it gets smaller. Now my console only occupies 1/2 the screen, but it doesn't seem to get any smaller than that. I'm using the boot parameter "vga=0x132".

My point is maybe your screen isn't blank, but rather the horizontal frequency is out of your monitor's range?

Certainly, something has changed, because with 2.6.0-test11 I was running "vga=0x31B video=vesafb:ywrap" and it worked great, whereas now it doesn't work at all with any fb modes.

-Wes-