Re: 2.6.0 performance problems

From: Thomas Molina
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 20:28:43 EST

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Thomas Molina wrote:
> Under 2.4 top shows:
>
> user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
> 1.3 0 2.1 0 0 0 96.6
>
> Execution time for the test was:
> real 13m33.482s
> user 0m33.540s
> sys 0m16.210s

A suggestion was made that readahead might make a difference. Changing
readahead under 2.4 from default of 8 to 255 the times went to:

real 13m50.198s
user 0m33.780s
sys 0m15.390s

> Under 2.6 top shows:
> user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
> 0.9 0 5.3 0.9 0.3 92.6 0
>
> Execution time for the test was:
> real 22m42.397s
> user 0m37.753s
> sys 0m54.043s

Changing 2.6 to 8 from 255 changed times:

real 25m39.653s
user 0m37.594s
sys 0m55.454s

I'll try the suggestion of 8192 for 2.6 later. hdparm won't let me set
readahead more than 255 for 2.4. I'm currently recompiling for profiling
support. I'm ashamed to say that wasn't configured in.

Linus, once I get that finished and do some testing I'll post results.