Re: PS2 mouse changes for 2.6

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 18:46:40 EST

On Monday 29 December 2003 09:01 am, walt wrote:
> I get good results from last night's PS2 mouse patches. My one
> problem machine now works perfectly again without the psmouse_noext
> parameter I've been using for several months.
>
> Two observations:
>
> I see no deprecation warnings when starting the kernel with
> psmouse_noext, which I was expecting to see.

It is emitted with KERN_WARNING severity and is not necessary seen on
the console. Check you dmesg.

> The mouse is announced as a 'generic wheel mouse', but it is
> really a Kensington Orbit trackball. Unfortunately I don't
> have a wheel mouse to test with, so I can't comment there.

The kernel does not really distinguish between different hardware
manufacturers. It tries to recognize Synaptics, Logitech and Genius, but
it relies on mouse responses to various PS/2 protocol probes. Anything
that responds to IntelliMouse (imps) protocol probes but does not respond
to ImtelliMouse Explorer (exps) probes gets labelled as "Generic Wheel
Mouse".

Dmitry