Re: [CFT/PATCH] give sound/oss/trident a holiday cleanup for 2.6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 14:43:34 EST

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Thirty separate patches is OK.
>
> We have scripts to handle "patchbombs".

Yes and no.

Thirty separate patches make sense if they are independent and really do
conceptually different things. Then it makes sense to have them as
separate checkins, and be able to tell people "ok, try undoing that one,
maybe that's the problem".

However, if they are all just "fix silly bugs in xxx", then I'd much
rather see it as one big patch. Having it split up into "fix bug on line
50" and "fix bug on line 75" just doesn't make any sense - it only makes
the patch history harder to follow.

So "many small patches" aren't automatically any better than one big one.
The thing that matters is to keep things _conceptually_ separated. If one
patch fixes whitespace, and another one fixes bugs, then that's good.

Linus