Re: network driver that uses skb destructor

From: Muli Ben-Yehuda
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 12:25:30 EST

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:53:59PM +0200, Sirotkin, Alexander wrote:

> Anybody tried to implement similar approach ?
> Any thoughts why this would (or would not) work ?

It's a nice idea in theory, but the reality is that as the code
currently stands, the upper layers 'hijack' the skb->destructor
without regards to whether it was set previously, causing your memory
to leak. See skb_set_owner_w(), skb_set_owner_r().

I wrote a patch to allow chaining of skb destructors, which was fairly
simple and would allow both the driver and the upper layers to set
their destructors. If there's any interet, I could probably resurrect
it.

Cheers,
Muli
--