Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: Johannes Ruscheinski
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 16:46:16 EST

Also sprach Joel Jaeggli:
> well if you currently have 1tb in 8 non-redundant drives then you using
> 160GB disks... no?
>
> the biggest p-ata disks right now are ~320GB so you can do a ~1TB software
> raid 5 stripe on a single 4 port ata controller such as a promise tx4000
> using regular software raid rather than the promise raid. that would end
> up being fairly inexpensive and buy you more protection.

Fisrt of all: thanks for the advice Joel! Two questions: why not use the
hardware raid capability of the Promise tx4000 and if we'd use software
raid instead, what would be the CPU overhead?

> linux software raid hsa been as releiable as anything else we've used over
> the years, the lack of reliabilitiy in your situation will come entirely

Good to hear.

> from failing disks, lose one and your filesystem is toast.

I was aware of that, thanks!

--
Johannes
--

Outlook, n.:
A virus delivery system with added email functionality.