Re: 2.6.0 modules, hotplug, PCMCIA

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 06:08:26 EST

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 11:33:04AM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
> 4. SuSE 8.2 defaults to using the kernel PCMCIA package rather than the
> external PCMCIA package. This is fine with me so kernel 2.6.0 also uses its
> own compiled PCMCIA drivers instead of trying to make an external PCMCIA
> package work with two kernels. It seems to me that it should be OK to
> compile PCMCIA as modules instead of built-in, but there were boot-time
> errors, so I had to change PCMCIA and Yenta to built-in.

What were these errors?

> (This is the
> opposite of the change that I had to make to mice, described in a separate
> e-mail message.) Now with PCMCIA compiled built-in, the low-level drivers
> get loaded, but cardmgr still doesn't run automatically. I can do "su" and
> "cardmgr &" and then PCMCIA starts working enough to do modprobes when cards
> are inserted.

It sounds like the SuSE init scripts are being clever and probably only
know about how their 2.4 situation works. What we need is a SuSE person
to comment on this behaviour; I don't have access to any SuSE based
systems to investigate their quirks.

> 5. However, file /etc/pcmcia/serial.opts is still getting ignored under
> 2.6.0.

"still" ? This is news to me (as the guy who seems to be handling both
PCMCIA and serial.)

> The modem is detected as containing a TI 16750 UART, and whatever
> the serial driver does then, it causes the modem to hang up. The serial
> driver in 2.4.20 defaults to the same thing but 2.4.20 reads file
> /etc/pcmcia/serial.opts, obeys the line SERIAL_OPTS="uart 16550A", and lets
> the modem operate at 33% of its rated speed instead of hanging up.

"hang up"? Do you mean "on-hook" or do you mean "stop working"? Is
there anything in /var/log/messages about this?

On my RH systems, cardmgr logs a fair amount to the system messages log,
which includes details of any commands run and any failures. It would
be really useful to see this.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/