Re: What is MCE?

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 21:54:17 EST

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:33:24 +0900 "Norman Diamond" <ndiamond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Sometimes:
| MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occurred on CPU
| 0.
| Bank 3: e20000000002010a
|
| Sometimes:
| MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occurred on CPU
| 0.
| Bank 3: a200000000080a01
|
| Obviously this isn't a Linux error, Linux is being kind enough to report a
| hardware error to me, but I don't know how to interpret these error flags.
| I don't even know what MCE is but whoever developed it for Linux surely must
| know. Please, how can I find out what this is?

It's an x86 Machine Check Exception, documented in the Intel
IA-32 docs. And probably in some other x86-like docs.

There's a 'parsemce' program around that attempts to decode some
of those bits. It might or might not help you out.
It's in this directory:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/tools/

--
~Randy