dell latitude Fn+ buttons and 2.6.0

From: Cam Vertesi
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 14:43:24 EST

[Please cc me in replies, I'm far from my news client]

I'm running RH9 on a Dell Latitude C610 laptop, and under the RedHat
2.4.20.8-i686 kernel everything worked great. I just configured and
installed 2.6.0, and after a few reconfigures and changes to my system,
everything seems to be working. So far so good. Everything works now,
that is to say, except for the Fn keys. My laptop (like many dells)
uses function keys for suspend, live bios, and other system functions.
Under 2.6.0, These keys don't seem to register at all.

Group searching gave me some interesting ideas: "showkey -s" comes up
empty; apparently Fn combinations produce no keycodes (except for the
volume keys). Disabling APIC and enabling I8k made no difference. I
even tried disabling ACPI and leaving only APM, and vice versa.

With APM only, the system at least responds to the buttons; I can get
into the live bios, and enter suspend mode. Sadly, the system then
hangs when I come out of suspend mode!

I have two questions here:
1) What's going on that makes it hang coming out of suspend? What
kernel option am I missing?
2) Why do I have to disable ACPI to use the Fn keys? I know the laptop
supports ACPI; I get all sorts of great info in /proc with it enabled.
What gives?

Relevant portion of .config follows.

Thanks

Cam

--------begin .config -------------
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_PM_DISK is not set

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set

#
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
#
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

--
Cam Vertesi <cvertesi@xxxxxxxxxxx>