Re: Synaptics problems in -mm1

From: Tomas Szepe
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 13:13:16 EST

On Dec-27 2003, Sat, 12:28 -0500
Dmitry Torokhov <dtor_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > it seems one of the synaptics-related patches in 2.6.0-mm1 kills
> > off the pointer stick on my T40p. 2.6.0 vanilla works just fine
> > in that department. Thought you might want to know.

> I have a couple of questions (I am not familiar with IBM hardware so
> please bear with me...):

No problem.

There are two pointer controllers on the T40p: a stick and a pad.
With 2.6.0, just compiling in synaptics support and running gpm as
"gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux" or XFree with

Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

gives perfect results, both controllers work, even with
all the (3 + 2) buttons.

With 2.6.0-mm1 (the same .config of course), however, the stick does nothing.

> - Is it detected as Synaptics but does not work?

Yes.

> - Should it be detected as Synaptics?

I believe so.

> - Does it work if you pass psmouse_noext=1 or psmouse_proto=bare?

psmouse_noext=1 no change
psmouse_proto=bare no change

> And what about psmouse_proto=imps and psmouse_proto=exps

psmouse_proto=imps no change
psmouse_proto=exps no change

> - Does it work if you give 2.6.0-test10-mm1 a quick boot?

Hmmm, let's see.
[time passes]

-> No.

Linux version 2.6.0-test10-mm1 (kala@ns) (gcc version 3.3.2) #1 Sat Dec 27 18:59:17 CET 2003
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: PC Speaker
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 5.9
Sensor: 44
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-> pass-through port
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0

> - dmesg, input section of you XFree and version and parameters that
> are passed to GPM.

Working kernel dmesg:

Linux version 2.6.0 (kala@ns) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)) #1 Sat Dec 27 18:59:59 CET 2003
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: PC Speaker
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 5.9
Sensor: 44
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-> pass-through port
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on synaptics-pt/serio0

Broken kernel dmesg:

Linux version 2.6.0-mm1 (kala@ns) (gcc version 3.3.2) #1 Sat Dec 27 14:12:13 CET 2003
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: PC Speaker
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 5.9
Sensor: 44
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-> pass-through port
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 5 bytes away.

gpm is 1.19.6.
XFree is 4.3.0.
gpm parameters & XFree input config - see above.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>