Re: 2.6.0 sound output - wierd effects

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 18:16:29 EST

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 01:00, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> --Martin Schlemmer <azarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (on Saturday, December 27, 2003 00:52:47 +0200):
>
> > On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 23:55, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> >> Upgraded my home desktop to 2.6.0.
> >> Somewhere between 2.5.63 and 2.6.0, sound got screwed up - I've confirmed
> >> this happens on mainline, as well as -mjb.
> >>
> >> If I leave xmms playing (in random shuffle mode) every 2 minutes or so,
> >> I'll get some wierd effect for a few seconds, either static, or the track
> >> will mysteriously speed up or slow down. Then all is back to normal for
> >> another couple of minutes.
> >>
> >> Anyone else seen this, or got any clues? Else I guess I'm stuck playing
> >> bisection search.
> >>
> >> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.7 (Thu Sep 25 19:16:36 2003 UTC).
> >> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:02.7
> >> intel8x0: clocking to 48000
> >> ALSA device list:
> >> # 0: SiS SI7012 at 0xdc00, irq 11
> >>
> >> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+, no power management or ACPI compiled in.
> >>

> > I have had this as well, around there, and started using OSS, which
> > worked fine (ICH5 onboard - also). Somewhere when I tried again, it
> > worked fine, so this is what I am using now. What version userland
> > libs/utils ? OSS emulation?
> >

> Userspace stuff is stock Debian Woody, but not sure which libs you
> want the version of. The following might help, but probably doesn't

Over here the your main one if not using oss emu is alsa-lib I used
0.9.8 for most of the time, but latest 1.0_rc[12] works as well.
Also for completeness you might include the version of alsa-utils.

Then, what does lsmod give? Also, does xmms use oss or alsa as output
driver - switching between the two may or may not improve things?

--
Martin Schlemmer