Re: 2.6.0 sound output - wierd effects

From: Sven-Haegar Koch
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 17:28:53 EST

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> Upgraded my home desktop to 2.6.0.
> Somewhere between 2.5.63 and 2.6.0, sound got screwed up - I've confirmed
> this happens on mainline, as well as -mjb.
>
> If I leave xmms playing (in random shuffle mode) every 2 minutes or so,
> I'll get some wierd effect for a few seconds, either static, or the track
> will mysteriously speed up or slow down. Then all is back to normal for
> another couple of minutes.
>
> Anyone else seen this, or got any clues? Else I guess I'm stuck playing
> bisection search.

I get exactly the same with kernel 2.4 and alsa, intel8x0 ac97, but did
not test alsa 1.0rc yet, which mentions "intel8x0 driver fixes, OSS PCM
emulation fixes" - perhaps these fixes help.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)