GCC 3.4 Heads-up

From: Chris Meadors
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 20:48:31 EST

I know it isn't the recommended compiler, heck it isn't even released
yet, but I was messing around with a GCC 3.4 snapshot, and figured I'd
give compiling the 2.6.0 kernel a shot.

Other than the constant barrage of warnings about the use of compound
expressions as lvalues being deprecated* (mostly because of lines 114,
116, and 117 of rcupdate.h, which is included everywhere), the build
goes very well.

It isn't until the final link that I get an error. It seems that
something goes funny with the ACPI's use of strcpy. I get undefined
references to strcpy in: acpi_bus_generate_event (twice),
acpi_power_add, acpi_thermal_add, and acpi_bus_add. There may be
additional different locations, but the error output stops there.

As I said, I'm just messing around, and figured I'd let everyone know
what's in the pipeline. But if it is a simple fix, I'll give any
changes anyone wants to try a shot.

*It also doesn't like cast or conditional expressions as lvalues.

--
Chris