Re: allow process or user to listen on priviledged ports?

From: Sven Köhler
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 12:53:13 EST

I would give your application this capability (from #include "linux/capability.h")

/* Allows binding to TCP/UDP sockets below 1024 */
/* Allows binding to ATM VCIs below 32 */

#define CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE 10

You do this with a setuid wrapper which drops all capabilities but
that one and then runs your application.

Thx for the answer! That's exactly what i search for.

Unfortunatly my gladness didn't last long. The FAQ at
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/kernel-2.4/capfaq-0.2.txt states that CAP_SETPCAP is disabled, but it doesn't say why it is disapled. That capability is needed by sucap to work.

So why is CAP_SETPCAP disabled by default?