2.6.0 and VMWare Buslogic Error?

From: Eric
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 16:04:19 EST

Hello,
When booting the linux kernel 2.6.0 (and since 2.6.0-test9 when I started
using 2.6) I am not sure if I get it using 2.4 However my vague memory says
no.. I get this message on startup. I am using VMWare Workstation 4.0.5 build
6030.

scsi: ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.16 of 18 July 2002 *****
scsi: Copyright 1995-1998 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ERROR: SCSI host `BusLogic' has no error handling
ERROR: This is not a safe way to run your SCSI host
ERROR: The error handling must be added to this driver
Call Trace:
[<c0213068>] scsi_host_alloc+0x77/0x288
[<c0213289>] scsi_register+0x10/0x51
[<c03349b5>] BusLogic_DetectHostAdapter+0x1ae/0x32e
[<c0335345>] init_this_scsi_driver+0x51/0xce
[<c031e773>] do_initcalls+0x2c/0x7a
[<c01050db>] init+0x58/0x13d
[<c0105083>] init+0x0/0x13d
[<c01071f9>] kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0xb

scsi0: Configuring BusLogic Model BT-958 PCI Wide Ultra SCSI Host Adapter
scsi0: Firmware Version: 5.07B, I/O Address: 0x1060, IRQ Channel: 17/Level
scsi0: PCI Bus: 0, Device: 16, Address: 0xF4000000, Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
scsi0: Parity Checking: Enabled, Extended Translation: Enabled
scsi0: Synchronous Negotiation: Ultra, Wide Negotiation: Enabled
scsi0: Disconnect/Reconnect: Enabled, Tagged Queuing: Enabled
scsi0: Scatter/Gather Limit: 128 of 8192 segments, Mailboxes: 211
scsi0: Driver Queue Depth: 211, Host Adapter Queue Depth: 192
scsi0: Tagged Queue Depth: Automatic, Untagged Queue Depth: 3
scsi0: Error Recovery Strategy: Default, SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
scsi0: *** BusLogic BT-958 Initialized Successfully ***
scsi0 : BusLogic BT-958
Vendor: VMware, Model: VMware Virtual S Rev: 1.0
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1

I have been running my VMMachines for a while now so I dont think theres a
huge problem. But should I be worried? Am I just lucky my data hasnt been
corrupted by this unsafe mode? Is this being fixed in a future version or
2.6? Would you like more debugging info to support this variant of the
Buslogic controller better?

Just a curios side-note... what the HECK are mailboxes relating to this scsi
driver?! I know what most of the other parameters are, but I cant figure out
what a mailbox could be in a scsi driver.

I am on the LKML, however I prefer to have replies CC'd to me. I notice them
MUCH faster.