Re: DevFS vs. udev

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 20:28:59 EST

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 03:07, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 02:45:15AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> > Lastly, a small nit with udev currently - how long will it be for in
> > kernel changes to be in place so that we do not need the 1sec delay?
> > It really sucks when you use a script/whatever to populate /dev, and
> > reboot quite frequent for new kernel/rc-script testing :)
>
> It's not a kernel change needed, it's a udev/libsysfs change needed. If
> I didn't have to deal with devfs emails I would get a chance to work on
> the issue some more :)

Ah, cool - please post if you have something a bit before next udev
release (no pressure), as we might get some extra testing done for you.

> And yes, I have gotten tired of the boot issue too, just add a '&' after
> the udev call in your init scripts and then everything seems to work
> just fine (as far as speed of boot goes.)

Right, but things needs to be synced for a lot of users, and I'll
rather patch the 1sec out or wait with 010 then get 200 bug reports :)

> But you do have to admit, Gentoo seems to have some pretty rabid users :)

Same as the other guys (distro's) - they help us keep the rest in
check :) But I still say its not us that started this *g*

Cheers,

--

Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer