RE: Re: [License of kernel components]linux-2.x.y/Documentation/logo.GIF should be logo.PNG?

From: xan2
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 14:37:03 EST

On 23th (2003, 17:16), Erik Mouw <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Re: [License of kernel components] linux-2.x.y/Documentation/logo.GIF
should be logo.PNG?

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:20:07PM +0100, xan2@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > I believe that the tux logo located at
> > linux-2.6.0/Documentation/logo.gif is the image that appears on the
> > boot of the system if framebuffer is enabled, isn't it?
> >
> > In this cas, and also if it's only for documentation purpose, I
> think> that we could change the propietary (and I think patented)
> format of
> > this logo (gif) to anyone that were free (for example like PNG
> format> [that has GPL licensed]).
>
> AFAIK the GIF patent (or rather: the LZW patent) expired a year
> ago, so
> I don't think it's an issue anymore.
>

> Erik

Sorry, but I didn't know this notice until now. I'm one year outdated ;-)
But anyway, do you not think that we can support the PNG format through
kernel? It was designed thinking in opensource... [I believe]

And, the patent could be expired one year ago, but I think that the
kernel hackers use this format before this year: the kernel 2.4.23 has
the logo.gif, so I think that we can check easyly that the series 2.4.x
used (and uses) this format.

Regards,
Xan.