kernel 2.6.0 and Compaq Proliant 6500 Pentium Pro

From: Don t Spam Me!!!
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 00:09:44 EST

Hi,

I was successfully running the latest RedHat 9 kernel (2.4.20-smp)
and upgraded to Fedora Core stable(2.4.22-nptlsmp) and testing
(2.6.0smp). The 6500 has an Orion (82450KX) chipset. During bootup, I
receive a number of error messages. Among other things:
1) The system is a quad processor PPro, but it says "no smp detected"
2) I get two ACPI errors (ACPI-0084 and ACPI-0134)
3) The kernel cannot determine the bus topology, and kudzu asks me to
reconfigure my two ethernet cards everytime I boot
4) I was using two 3c905 cards, but now am using one 3c905 and one
TLAN. Apparently, these are both working.

I'm sorry that the RedHat kernel isn't more standard because I'd
be able to tell you exactly when the support broke. There were a few
of the older RH9 kernels that I couldn't run because they would hang at
boot time, but the latest one was working wonderfully.

Does anyone have any pointers (aside from tossing the computer in
the garbage or downgrading to RedHat 9 again - although that's
presently my only option)

I _can_ get some more verbose descriptions if someone wants to
point me in the right direction - I've been hacking with Linux since
1994 so I'm not a newbie.

Thanks!

Mark Schaefer