Speedup reading from broken hdd

From: Florian Huber
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 17:10:08 EST

Hello ML,
I have one broken harddisk, but most of the sectors are still ok.
Whenn I try to dump the data via dd_rescue and it comes to faulty
bytes/bits/whatever the kernel takes a lot of time (retries, timeout?)
till it recognizes that it's broken. (The usual error in kernel log...).

Is there a possibilty to speed this up? Maybe there is a kernel patch or
I can access this device in a different way?

TIA

--
Florian Huber

Key ID: D9D50EA2
Fingerprint: 0241 C329 E355 9B94 8D34 F637 4EB9 1B1D D9D5 0EA2

BOFH Excuse #274:
It was OK before you touched it.