Re: [CFT][RFC] HT scheduler

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 21:57:24 EST

Rusty Russell wrote:

In message <3FE28529.1010003@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:

+ * See comment for set_cpus_allowed. calling rules are different:
+ * the task's runqueue lock must be held, and __set_cpus_allowed
+ * will return with the runqueue unlocked.

Please, never *ever* do this.

Locking is probably the hardest thing to get right, and code like this
makes it harder.

Although in this case it is only one lock, and its only used in
one place, with comments. But yeah its far more complex than a
blocking semaphore would be.

Fortunately, there is a simple solution coming with the hotplug CPU
code: we need to hold the cpucontrol semaphore here anyway, against
cpus vanishing.

Perhaps we should just use that in both places.

We could just use a private semaphore until the hotplug code is in place.