bcm5705 with tg3 driver and high rx load -> bad systemresponsiveness

From: Ronald Wahl
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 17:56:12 EST

Hallo,

I just got the 2.6.0 kernel running (without major problems). The
only annoying issue I have is the tg3 network driver. Sending out a
100 MBit/s stream is no problem. Receiving with this speed makes
the system a bit unresponsive. This means the mouse (usb) freezes
now and then for a short period and the system monitor applets from
gnome hanging at the same time too. There are no system messages
that indicate any error. With 2.4.x I used the original driver from
Broadcom (http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php) that
worked without any problem. The tg3 driver in 2.4.23 caused a high
system load on network traffic - maybe this problem is related. My
system is a Pentium 4 @ 3GHz with Hyperthreading enabled - i.e. 2
logical processors. The mainboard (Epox 4PDA2+) has a bcm 5705
network chip:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 1695:9013
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-

Is this issue known? Are there any fixes. Do you need more information?

Thanks,
ron

PS: Keep me in Cc:, please! I'm not on the list. Thanks!