Re: 2.6 vs 2.4 regression when running gnomemeeting

From: Christian Meder
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 23:19:04 EST

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 04:50, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Christian Meder wrote:

> >>Since so many things have actually changed it's going to be hard to extract
> >>what role the cpu scheduler has in this setting, but lets do our best.
> >>
> >>Is there a reason you're running gnomemeeting niced -10? It is hardly using
> >>any cpu and the problem is actually audio in your case, not the cpu
> >>gnomemeeting is getting. Running dependant things (gnomemeeting, audio
> >>server, gnome etc) at different nice levels is not a great idea as it can
> >>lead to priority inversion scenarios if those apps aren't coded carefully.
> >>
> >>What happens if you run gnomemeeting at nice 0?
> >>

> >Exactly the same. It was only reniced to -10 because I tried it and
> >forgot to set it back. With your scheduler renicing doesn't make a
> >difference. No matter if I renice the compile to 19 or gnomemeeting to
> >-10. With Nick's scheduler renicing gnomemeeting to -10 improves the
> >situation.
> >

> (although not much Con)

right. Ok I'm running now 2.6.0 with Nick's v28p1: The results without
load and with kernel compile load are attached. On nice level 0 I get
now the stuttering sound which I described in the previous mail. When I
renice gnomemeeting to -10 it's actually usable but not as good as in
2.4.2x. It's still sensitive to window movement and X activity. Two
subjective observations are that the nice levels haven't got such a big
impact in Nick's scheduler they used to have and that the default
behaviour gnomemeetingwise is better than in earlier Nick schedulers.

> >>How is your dma working on your disks?
> >>

> >/dev/hda:
> > multcount = 0 (off)
> > IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
> > unmaskirq = 0 (off)
> > using_dma = 1 (on)
> > keepsettings = 0 (off)
> > readonly = 0 (off)
> > readahead = 256 (on)
> > geometry = 65535/16/63, sectors = 117210240, start = 0
> >

> This might be a problem - try turning unmaskirq on, and possibly
> 32-bit IO support on (hdparm -u1 -c1 /dev/hda). I think there is
> a remote possibility that doing this will corrupt your data just
> to let you know.

Tried it and doesn't make a difference.

> >>What happens if you don't use an audio server (I'm not sure what the audio
> >>server is in gnome); or if you're not using one what happens when you do?
> >>

> >esd was running but I'm not sure gnomemeeting with ALSA support was
> >using it. After killing esd and retrying there was no difference.
> >

> So the 1 gnomemeeting process is doing everything? (except display of
> course)

AFAIK yes.

Christian

--