Re: SMP Kernel 2.6.0-test11 doesn't boot on a Dell 410

From: John Stoffel
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 13:49:03 EST

Just to followup, I've downloaded, compiled and installed 2.6.0 and
Len Brown's ACPI patch on my Dell Precision 610MT box and it's works
just fine. I was never able to get 2.6.0-test11 with ACPI to work,
though I never put in Len's patch on there.

The system is up and running now in SMP mode, so I think once 2.6.1
comes out with the ACPI updates, we should be all set.

I've got the following ACPI configuration options setup:

CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACPI=y

If I get a chance over Xmas, I'll see about changing the RELAXED_AML
stuff as well. But looking at my interrupts, they certainly don't
seem too balanced:

> cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0 CPU1
0: 31862628 48 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 504 1 IO-APIC-edge i8042
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 4 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
11: 0 1 IO-APIC-edge Cyclom-Y
12: 25139 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 14906 0 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 11947 0 IO-APIC-edge ide1
17: 6346 1 IO-APIC-level eth0
18: 46860 1 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx, aic7xxx
19: 140 0 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
NMI: 0 0
LOC: 31867092 31867091
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

I've got the following APIC config settings:

CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y

So I think that 2.6.1 and higher will work out of the box for the
problematic Dell boxes, once the right ACPI patches get added.

John