SONY DRU500-AX DVDRW problem with 4X DVD+R

From: Panagiotis Papadakos
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 13:27:43 EST

Whenever I try to write a 4X DVD+R with my SONY writer, kernel reports the
following message:

hdg: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdg, logical block 8
hdg: DMA timeout retry
PDC202XX: Secondary channel reset.
hdg: timeout waiting for DMA
hdg: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdg: status timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
hdg: drive not ready for command
hdg: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom_newpc_intr: 32768 residual after xfer

What does it mean? Problem with the media or with the Promise PDC20268
controller?

Also the DVD is closed almost 1 minute after starting writing, and so the
disc is unusable!

I have written successfully many DVD+R 2.4X and CDR 24X with DMA enabled.

Thanks for any feedback.

P.S.
I do not use scsi-emulation and the kernel is 2.6.0.

Panagiotis Papadakos