Re: raid0 slower than devices it is assembled of?

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 13:39:03 EST

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:01:13AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> However, since seeking will be limited by the checksum drive anyway (for
> writing), the advantages of large stripes in trying to keep the disks
> independent aren't as one-sided.

It seems to me that you are referring to a single pairity drive in the
array. That is raid4, where only one drive handles the pairity data for the
entire array regardless of array size.

Raid5 staggers the pairidy data (md has four different staggering layouts)
so that the data, and pairity are on two different drives, and that varies
based on stripe and layout.