Re: 2.4.23aa1 ext3 oops

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 06:44:52 EST

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 10:33 +0800, Jamie Clark wrote:
> After a quick browse of the assembler output the zeroing would appear to
> be part of the list_del inline, and edi seems to equate to &sb.

Seems reasonable. It does look like something's stomped on sb->s_dirty.

> __mark_inode_dirty() does not appear to take sb_lock before adding to
> the s_dirty list. Could that be the culprit?

I don't think so; it's holding the inode_lock which should be
sufficient. Besides -- in practice all updates to the 4-byte pointer
sb->s_dirty.next are going to be atomic, and there's no reason _ever_
for it to be set to d7ffbc08. It's hard to see how a simple locking
problem is going to cause such a thing.

How repeatable is this? Can you turn on slab poisoning?

--
dwmw2