Re: Device-mapper submission for 2.4

From: bill davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 14:13:41 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.56.0312092329280.30298@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Paul Jakma <paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| I'd really like to see one of:
|
| - backwards compat: 2.6 have LVM1 support
|
| - forward compat: 2.4 to have DM support to allow 2.4 users to
| migrate
| LVM->DM first /before/ taking the risk on running 2.6.

Hate to say it, but unlike XFS which has been available for 2.4 for ages
and very well tested, DM for 2.4 has all the joy of a newly posted
feature. I really think that you will find the *if* you want DM you will
be safer going to 2.6 and using the version which has been reasonably
well tested.

You will want to do a full backup before going to a new o/s in any case,
if your data is of value.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc