Re: Synaptics PS/2 driver and 2.6.0-test11

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 19:57:43 EST

On Sunday 07 December 2003 05:10 pm, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't notice this thread till now...
>
> > But why it does not hurt with kernel 2.4.22? Moreover how ACPI BIOS
> > influences synaptics driver? I do not see any BIOS call there...
>
> I have this problem reported as bug 1093 at bugme.osdl.org, my laptop
> is an ACER with intel chipset.
>
> The problem will happen even if you only check the batery status once a
> day, at that time, you can get the lost sync thing in 2.6, but not in
> 2.2, so the problem is not with the gnome applet, in fact I'm seing it
> under icewm and I have been able to reproduce it without any battery
> applet or anything like that, only running the "acpi -V" command each
> minute in a cron, that suffices for getting the errors.
>
> I believe that this should be solved, in 2.6, as it certainly doesn't
> happen on 2.4, if you want more info look at bug #1093 at
> bugme.osdl.org or if you need more details just ask for them.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards...

The difference is that GPM (I assume you are using it to get Synaptics
support) only logs "protocol violations" when in debug mode, and then it
only checks 2 first bytes. The XFree driver does check the protocol but
its messages usually don't show up in the syslog. In other words in-kernel
Synaptics driver just makes the problem apparent it seems.

>From what I saw in one case where Synaptics was loosing sync it looked
like 2 first bytes of the 6 byte packet were lost (psmouse never got them).
Would be interesting to compile i8042.c with debug and see the full flow
of a problem system...

Dmitry