Re: Additional clauses to GPL in network drivers

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 16:56:47 EST

John Bradford <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "This file is not a complete program and may only be used when the
> entire operating system is licensed under the GPL".
>
> as
> grep -C 1 "only be used when"
>
> in drivers/net will confirm.
>
> *Please*, can we resist the temptation to 'play' with licenses in this
> way? I suspect this extra clause was added just to clarify what the
> GPL already says,

I don't think so - GPL doesn't restrict the _use_, only the distribution.

I.e. I'd be breaking law by merely _using_ the epic100 driver, as the
operating system (my experimental Linux-based system) isn't licensed
under GPL - in fact, it isn't licensed under any license, as I don't
distribute it at all.
--
Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH