PROBLEM: flaw in lk 2.4.23 configure script(s)

From: Yuri van Oers
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 09:01:36 EST

Hi:

There's an error in one or more linux 2.4 configure script concerning TSC.

Full description:
By default, the linux kernel is configured for Pentium-III (at least on my
system, I don't know if any automagical detection is done). This means
CONFIG_X86_TSC is (or will be) set. Changing to 486, then exiting
menuconfig does not remove CONFIG_X86_TSC! So after compiling a 486
kernel, then booting it on a 486 constitutes the following panic:
"Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC feature!".

This is easily worked around by making menuconfig, exiting, then saving
the kernel configuration. After this, CONFIG_X86_TSC is no longer
contained in .config .

I think there's a flaw in config.in, but I'll leave the pinpointing to
the appropriate maintainer.

Encountered this problem with 2.4.23 and 2.4.22. Have not tried other
versions.

Would be nice if corrected, IMHO :)

For any responses: please CC me, am not on the lkml.

Regards,
Yuri van Oers