Re: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog - found?

From: Ian Kumlien
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 20:59:06 EST

Quoting myself...
> I'm more hopeful about the patch from Mathieu <cheuche+lkml () free ! fr>...

> CPU0
> 0: 267486 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 9654 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 14: 28252 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 103 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 16: 251712 IO-APIC-level eth0
> 17: 90632 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
> 19: 415529 IO-APIC-level nvidia
> 20: 0 IO-APIC-level usb-ohci
> 21: 153 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd
> 22: 58257 IO-APIC-level usb-ohci
> NMI: 479
> LOC: 265875
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0

> this far and it feels like a closer match to what windows does from what
> i have read on the ml.

I think that this is what we want, ie know how windows handles the spic
since i just bet that all the mb manuf. ppl only care about windows and
anything else is secondary. [Can we get some more info from nvidia about
differences in the setup?]

> I haven't even come close to testing this yet, I've only been up 45 mins
> but i'll leave it running and do what i usually do when it hangs... =)

And that some great 2 hours, everything was dandy, screen refreshes
faster (moving windows with contents was snappier and you saw less
trailing refreshes)... but it ended in a beeeeeeeep deadlock.

I later reproduced it again in console mode... It required 2 full grep
-rne test * in my /usr/src, that is, 2.6.0-test11 and 2.4.23*2 + some
rpm's... all in all: 624M + 219M

--
Ian Kumlien <pomac@xxxxxxxxx>