Re: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog - found?

From: Craig Bradney
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 19:42:11 EST

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 01:21, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 00:49, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>*maybe* I found the bugger, at least I got APIC more stable (need to
> >>test whether oit is really stable, compiling kernel right now...):
> >>
> >>It is a problem with CPU disconnect function. I tried various parameters
> >>in bios and turned cpu disconnect off, and tada, I could do several
> >>subsequent hdparms and machine is running! As CPU disconnect is a ACPI
> >>state, if I am not mistkaen, I think there is something broken in ACPI
> >>right now or in APIC and cpu disconnect triggers the bug.
> >>
> >>Maybe now my windows environment is stable, as well. It was much more
> >>stable with cpu disconnect and apic, nevertheless seldomly locked up.
> >>

> >>So gals and guys, try disabling cpu disconnect in bios and see whether
> >>aopic now runs stable.
> >

> >>I have an Abit NF7-S Rev2.0 with Bios 2.0.
> >

> >>Prakash
> >

> > I rebooted and checked in my BIOS, I dont seem to have "CPU Disconnect"?
> > Is there another name. I also downloaded the motherboard manual for your
> > NF7-S and cant find it there either?
>
> th efull name should be "CPU Disconnect Function". it is an the page
> with "enhanced pci performance", "enable system bios caching" ".. video
> bios caching" and all the spread spectrums. I have forgotten the name of
> that page in the main menu. Should the 3 or 4 in the first column.
>
> Perhaps your BIOS is too old. I remember it only came with 1.8 (or
> alike) and later. But usually this setting should be disabled at default.
>
> My machine still hasn't locked, btw. :-)

Sounds great.. maybe you have come across something. Yes, the CPU
Disconnect function arrived in your BIOS in revision of 2003/03/27
"6.Adds"CPU Disconnect Function" to adjust C1 disconnects. The Chipset
does not support C2 disconnect; thus, disable C2 function."

For me though.. Im on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2 BIOS 1007. From what I can
see the CPU Disconnect isnt even in the Uber BIOS 1007 for this ASUS
that has been discussed.

Craig