Re: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 16:03:06 EST

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:34:46PM +0100, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:
> Hmm, interesting observation. This makes me remeber something: When my
> machine freezes doing hdparm, the cursor still blinks, but I can't do
> anything anymore. Maybe a connection to your observation? I haven't
> treid to run the NMI watchdog, as you guys haven't had success with it yet.

Everyone with this problem should turn on the nmi_watchdog, as someone may
have the right circumstances to produce an oops where the others didn't.

I say that you're not serious about getting this fixed unless you're going
to do all of:

o turn on nmi_watchdog
o try the patches posted[1]
o contact nvidia or your motherboard manufacturer saying you need linux
support, and return the board if they don't. (phone, fax, email, or even
local office if there is one)

I bought a VIA board to avoid the problems I expected from the nforce, and I
needed a system (server) that would *work* now.

[1] If you're worried about your filesystem, just boot the patched kernel in
single mode, and that will mount all of your filesystems read-only so there
will be little chance of corruption.

Mike