RE: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Hua Zhong
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 12:38:36 EST

> So far, I don't see any reason why a module that uses an
> inline function provided via a kernel header could be distributed in
binary
> format without being a "derived work" and thus bound by the GPL.

Yeah, the same reason that XFS, NUMA, etc are derived works from Unix
since they must include Unix header files.

What, maybe there are no inline functions there? No problem. SCO could
make stuff like spinlocks inline. And suddenly you are derived works
now.

I just don't see how this actually works as you said.