Re: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)

From: Josh McKinney
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 13:57:20 EST

On approximately Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:08:29PM +0100, Julien Oster wrote:
> Josh McKinney <forming@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> Hello Josh,
>
> > Just to add more inconsistency into the mix, I am running with preempt
> > enabled, generic ide disabled, and can't make it crash. Ran netperf for
> > an hour over a crossover cable on 100mbit, a couple make -j 30 kernel
> > compiles, dbench, and playing some mp3's all at the same time and
> > nothing happens despite load average reaching over 100. Maybe I am just
> > lucky.
>
> Or maybe not.
>
> In the very beginning, 1 or 2 months ago right after I bought the
> board, it did crash but it actually didn't crash very often. In fact,
> most of the time (not every time, but most!) it crashed while the
> system being rather idle. To add even more perplexity to it: I could
> work on the system for hours and then leave the computer half an hour
> alone for talking a walk or jogging or whatever and, after coming
> back, run across a complete lockup. Normally, the clock applet on my
> desktop told me that the box crashed several minutes after I went out,
> since the clock of course froze with the mainboard as well.
>
> A lot changed by now, hardware and software, and now I'm hardly able
> to run the system with ACPI/APIC enabled at all. If the boot procedure
> goes fine, it locks up shortly after. If fsck decides to check the
> disks, the mainboard is doomed to lock up away immediately.
>
> That really is a nasty problem.

This issue seems to be funny like that. When I first recieved this
mobo I too had crashes like you say you are having now. Doing
practically anything would make it crash, passing noapic and nolapic
on boot solved the problems. Now, as I said, stable with all ACPI
APIC LAPIC enabled. I haven't changed any hardware or anything
either, except for now I am using the nvidia ethernet with the
forcedeth driver, but I somehow don't think that has anything to do
with it, maybe it is worth looking into.

--
Josh McKinney | Webmaster: http://joshandangie.org