RE: [Lhms-devel] RE: memory hotremove prototype, take 3

From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:15:13 EST

> From: Pavel Machek [mailto:pavel@xxxxxxx]

> > 1) the core kernel needs to be independent of physical memory position
> > 1.1) same with drivers/subsystems
> > 1.2) filesystems
> > [it cannot be really incomplete because I have added all the code
> > :/]
>
> ...and you have bad problem at any place where physical address is
> passed to the hardware. UHCI is going to be "interesting".

That one falls under the category of "every device driver that talks
in physical with its device" needs a callback to reallocate buffers
or cancel and reissue transactions.

Still, when I started to hate UHCI's guts in 1997 I had a reason...it
still holds true.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own (and my fault)