RE: NForce2 pseudoscience stability testing (2.6.0-test11)

From: Allen Martin
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 00:13:58 EST

I don't think there's any faulty nForce IDE hardware or we would have heard
about it from windows users (and we haven't).

The problem with comparing the nForce IDE driver against the generic IDE
driver is that the generic IDE driver won't enable DMA, so the interrupt
rate will be much different. If there's some interrupt race condition in
APIC mode, disabling DMA may mask it.

Also are people who are having problems using rounded or flat cables? It's
possible the problem could be related to DMA CRC errors. Switching to flat
cables can help with that.

-Allen