Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: David Lang
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 20:06:18 EST

there is no way to taint something so much that it's no longer covered by
the GPL (if it was that would mean that you have no legal way to have a
copy of it).

Remember that the GPL doesn't put any restrictions on what you do with the
code as long as you are not distributing it.

becouse of this you could take the kernel and include any propriatary code
in it that you want and run it. You don't even need to use modules, just
paste in th code and compile (make sure you have a legal right to the code
you are pasting in though :-)

the GPL comes in when you distribute it (and even here there are grey
areas, does it count as distributing code to put it on a companies
desktops for example?, but if you sell it or incude it in a product that
you sell you definantly do have to release the source)

if you are talking about the 'tainted' flag in the kernel, that is just a
flag that you should not expect to get support for this configuration
from the opensource developers.

does this answer your question?

David Lang