Re: Disk Geometries reported incorrectly on 2.6.0-testX

From: Andrew Clausen
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:24:26 EST

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:07:06PM +0100, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> > Can you elaborate? Autodetect what? Autodetect if the BIOS supports LBA?
>
> Autodetect to boot from the boot controller's miniport driver or using
> BIOS. It should have been mentioned in one of the Microsoft articles I
> referred.

I'm totally confused.

What's a miniport driver? What is a boot controller? Do these have
anything to do with LBA?

Also, you say "autodetect"... you mean it is making a decision to use
some method (not that I understand this). How does it make the decision?

The article doesn't mention "Linear", "LBA", "boot controller" or
"miniport driver" at all. (I was looking at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=98080 - is this the right one?)

The question I believe I asked was: how does the Windows installation
software decide whether to use LBA or CHS? Is this an answer to
this question?

Cheers,
Andrew