Re: libata in 2.4.24?

From: bill davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 17:17:35 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0312011209000.13692-100000@xxxxxxxxxx>,
Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo.tosatti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
|
| > Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

| > > I thought a bit more about this issue and I have a different opinion now.
| > >
| > > 2.6 is getting more and more stable and already includes libata --- users
| > > who need it should use 2.6.
| >
| > Does it mean that 2.4.x is going to freeze, and only critical and security
| > patches are going to be applied ?
|
| Yes this will happen in the near future.
|
| I still might accept some "non critical" modifications (which is btw, not
| an objective defition) to 2.4.24, but for 2.4.25 that will be the rule.

I hope you will continue to allow changes like new drivers and the
like, there are many things in 2.6 which are not only not working but
unlikely to ever be fixed because they are "old technology" and have
been replaced by more interesting and less functional alternatives, but
which are highly useful for people who have to use what is available in
terms of hardware.

That's "what the client/boss what's to provide" as well as "what the
individual can afford." It's not just hobby stuff or old PCs being used,
there are people selling laptops with ACPI more disfunctional than the
Simpsons. Suspend via APM works fine, though.

Unless a miracle occurs it will take as long for 2.6 to be really stable
and fully functional as it did for 2.[024]. When it goes out in distros
and gets abused by users for a while the sharp corners will be broken off.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc