Re: Linux 2.4 future

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 15:31:30 EST

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 02:39:52PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> the reasons behind the reasoning. However, that doesn't help us pour
> schmucks out here in la-la land trying to make the most recent nvidia
> module work with the latest kernel on our now elderly gforce2's. I'd
> like to have some OpenGL support for instance, but for everything
> else, nv is probably 100x more stable than the nvidia binary. So we
> run nv. Maybe someday nvidia will get baptised, but *I'm* not
> counting on it.
>
> Its not your emails (as Linus) to nvidia that will fix that, but a
> concerted effort, emailing them for a resolution from everyone who
> owns one of their products _might_ eventually make a difference.
> OTOH, they're going to listen to their IP lawyers & not us. so...

Well, the easiest way to convince nVidia is to own someone else's
product, that does support Linux ;-)

Right now -- for the bleeding edge 3D hardware -- hardware makers
are across-the-board closed source AFAIK. ATI used to be open source,
but their new "microcode JIT" stuff for the latest h/w isn't

Until a volume 3D h/w maker goes open source and gives Linux users a
market to buy into, it's pretty much closed source moving forward :(

Jeff